Oh my goodness. What an amazing month of June it was! Over the past few years I’ve spent much of my summers traveling, but this year I wanted things to be different. Seattle is at its very best during the summer months – seriously in 7 years of living in this city I cannot remember a better June than this one and I’m so happy I stayed put long enough to enjoy it!
The sun has been shining on more days than I can count over the past few weeks, and we’ve had a plethora of amazing visitors coming to stay with us. This week as the perfect celebration and counterpart to the 4th of July holiday, my littlest sister Coli and her boyfriend Zach are coming up from New Mexico to hang with us for the week. I’m literally jumping with joy! I can’t wait to show them some of our favorite spots around town and spend our days soaking up the glorious sunshine!
A few essentials that I have in mind for this week’s festivities and city exploring :
01. Sunglasses : a good pair of Ray-Ban’s is practically a summer staple in my book. I’m definitely coveting these ones.
02. Denim Shorts : never been one to love wearing shorts, but you cannot go wrong with a great pair of classic denim cutoffs especially for an afternoon on the beach.
03. Ankle Wrap Sandal : simple is everything I want in a sandal this year. I love this perfect pop of green color too.
04. Picnic Basket for Two : one of my favorite things to do in the summertime here in Seattle is evening bonfires on the beach. Golden Gardens is our favorite spot and this pretty picnic basket for packing up treats could quickly become my new BFF.
05. Marshmallow Skewers : uhhhh, what is a bonfire on the beach without some s’mores eh?! I love the handle on these metal ones.
06. Simple and Crisp : oh my gosh. Although I’ve never been a big “dried fruit” type of gal, I can’t get over the yummy tastes of Simple and Crisp. Their blood orange fruit slices are so so good, and with a bit of creamy cheese on top this will be my go-to snack this 4th.
07. Cozy Tee Shirt : comfort has always been my biggest priority during the 4th of July holiday. It’s typically a warm weather day and a loose, simple cotton tee-shirt is a priority for sure.
08. Lip Balm : when the weather is hot and we are acting as tourists in our own city while showing visitors around town, my only must have for a quick makeup pick-me-up is a light dab of chapstick. I love the smell of this rose scented one.
09. Bikini Bottoms : we are always looking for new ways to celebrate a holiday and to explore our city in new ways. This year we are definitely taking kayaks through the arboretum. For only $10 (I know right?!) you can take a rented kayak out into the beautiful waters of Lake Washington. We’ve never done this before despite wanting to for years! I’m SO excited for this part of our week, and a pair of cute bikini bottoms is perfect for dunking in the lake water to cool off from the heat.
10. Bixby Bicycle : riding a bike through a city with the wind in your hair has always reminded me of my most cherished moments in Paris. I would give anything to have a pretty bike to ride around town this 4th of July.
Wishing you all a relaxing and joyous 4th of July this week. I hope you get a chance to spend time with loved ones and celebrate the pleasures of summer.